Misogyny & The Oscars, Hating Anne Hathaway, and Other Stories You May Have Missed
If I Only Have Time to Read One, What Should It Be?
Two actresses left the Oscars this past Sunday with a new description to forever be put in front of their names – Academy Award-winning. Anne Hathaway delivered a composed, well-spoken, even-keeled speech and is now even more hated than ever; Jennifer Lawrence literally fell on her face and got a standing ovation. That’s just how things are going for those two right now (salon.com)
1. I thought Seth MacFarlane’s flying nun bit with Sally Field at the Oscars was hilarious, and apparently Jennifer Lawrence thought the “We Saw Your Boobs” song was funny. However, other people…want his head on a stake (vulture.com)/(businessinsider.com).
2. Remember When the Visual Effects Guy For Life of Pi Had His Mic Cut Before He’d Finished His Acceptance Speech at The Oscars? Yeah, there’s more to that story (SlashFilm.com)
4. Why Silver Linings Playbook should have won Best Picture at the Oscars (cinemablend.com)
5. Let’s be honest: Community was already starting to become an average television show well before Dan Harmon was fired (avclub.com)
6.NBC’s primetime ratings have plummeted from first to last. And…the universe is balanced again. Also, somehow Smash costs $4 million per episode to produce (nytimes.com)
7. They killed off another Robin in the Batman comics. Don’t worry, though. It’s not Dick Grayson, the original Robin who has since become his own superhero named Nightwing. It’s Damian Wayne. Who’s that, you say? Batman’s son. Hold on – Batman has a son? Well, not anymore. (robot6.comicbookresources.com)
8. The guy who created Wonder Woman loved putting the character into situations where the bad guys (emphasis on the guy) bound her hands together with rope and chains, thus robbing her of her power. Nothing kinky there. Well, back in the day his bosses actually had to get him to pull back on how often she was tied up by at least 50%. Wonder Woman…has a troubling history. (goodcomics.comicbookresources.com).
9. Netflix has announced its own awards show. Wait, what? Pretty ballsy move for a network with only one original piece of programming to their name (House of Cards) at the moment (screencrush.com)
10. A physicist proposed to his girlfriend using a mock-academic paper. I used to do a lot of writing/editing/revising of academic papers so I love this story (io9.com)
11. A long lost continent has been discovered underneath the Indian Ocean. How much you want to bet the History Channel has already completed a conspiracy theory documentary about this continent being Atlantis (io9.com).
We Saw Your Junk – An Answer Song to Seth MacFarlane’s “We Saw Your Boobs: